Rice at Hawai‘i
Sept. 8, 2018
Aloha Stadium – Honolulu, HI
Honorary Captain: Gerald Oda
Hawai‘i Captains: J.R. Hensley, Noah Borden, Jahlani Tavai, Zeno Choi
Coin Toss: Rice won, Rice received.
- Rice leads the series 5-3, while UH evened the record to 2-2 in Honolulu.
- It was UH’s first win over Rice in the last three meetings (losses in 2014 and 2004).
- UH improved to 32-22 all-time against Conference USA squads.
- UH has started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2007 when UH enjoyed an undefeated regular-season (12).
- UH is has won 10 of its last 11 non-conference home games.
- UH is 6-1 in non-conference home games under Rolovich with its only loss against BYU to close out 2017.
- UH is 7-0 under Nick Rolovich when scoring 40+ points and 18-0 including his tenure as UH offensive coordinator (2010-11).
- Cole McDonald has not thrown an interception in 120 career attempts and 111 attempts this season.
- UH scored a touchdown on the opening drive for the third straight week.
- UH has not trailed all season long.
- UH has scored 40+ points in three straight contests. The last time that happened was the conclusion of the 2010 regular-season. (vs. San Jose State, at New Mexico State, vs. UNLV).
- UH went a perfect 4-of-4 in the red zone vs. Navy and are a perfect 15-of-15 on the year.
- UH has scored in 11 of 12 quarters this season.
- UH did not commit a single turnover against Rice and has committed just two turnovers in three games.
- Cole McDonald has eclipsed 300 passing yards in each of the first three games this season after finishing 22-of-33 for 319 yards and four touchdowns.
- McDonald’s 13 touchdown passes are the most by any UH quarterback through the first three games of the season (previous: 12 by Colt Brennan in 2007).
- John Ursua posted his eighth career 100-yard game after he finished with nine catches for 133 yards and one touchdown. The junior had six catches for 105 yards and a touchdown in the first quarter alone.
- Ursua has scored at least one touchdown in eight of his last nine games played.
- Cedric Byrd scored multiple touchdowns for the second straight game with touchdown catches in the first (10 yards) and fourth quarters (26).
- Byrd has found the end zone in all three games and co-leads the team with Ursua with five touchdowns on the year.
- Marcus Armstrong-Brown scored his first touchdown of the season and the second of his career on a 14-yard catch that put UH up 21-7 in the second quarter.
- Sophomore running back Fred Holly hit the century mark for the first time in his career with 100 yards on 17 carries.
- Holly scored a pair of touchdowns, including a 46-yard dash in the fourth quarter that sealed the game.
- Solomon Matautia led UH with 14 tackles, one shy of his career-high. Among the tackles was during a goal-line stand to begin the fourth quarter.
- Senior linebacker Jahlani Tavai finished with 11 tackles and moved passed Steve Lehor for fourth at UH in career tackles with 329.
- Sophomore Zach Wilson (DB) and junior college transfer Derek Thomas (DE) each made their first career starts. Thomas recorded a tackles while Wilson had three tackles and recorded his first career interception to end Rice’s final drive of the game.
- Junior Kaimana Padello recorded a career-high 2.0 sacks.